In celebration of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, an anti-apartheid activist, the Mother of the Nation, a legend and an icon, women all over South Africa wore all black with a doek. The hashtag #allblackwithadoek as well as #IamWinnieMandela was used to emphasise the idea that her legacy lives on in women fighting for equality across the country, the continent and the world.
Here are some of our favourite looks.
1. This woman, who embodies the saying “you strike a woman, you strike a rock.”
2. Am I the only one getting serious Dora Milaje vibes from these women? We are definitely need them to feature in Black Panther 2!
3. These women who came out in celebration of Winnie’s legacy and life. Yaaaas Queens!
4. The doek, the cape, the elegance! Okay, everyone, you can go home. This woman clearly won the day.
5. Don’t mind us, we’re just out here casually slaying. What a look!
5. Yep! Even this little cutie got the memo.
And of course, this post would be incomplete without sharing a picture of how we celebrated Mama Winnie on the day.
Rest in peace and power, Mama Winnie! Your legacy, your commitment and your life will not be forgotten.